Women's Hormones: A Guide to the Cycle & Infertility ( 1 )
A widespread problem in women caused by hormonal imbalance is infertility; with nearly six million couples in America alone being afflicted by it. In approximately 60 percent of the cases, the infertility can be attributed to the female partner, whereas the rest (40 percent) are because of unhealthy male partners.
Phases of the Menstrual Cycle
There are a number of factors in women that might influence their ability to become pregnant such as ovulatory dysfunction, endometriosis, blockage in fallopian tubes, Chlamydia, uterine fibroids, hormonal imbalance, pelvic diseases, psychological stress and age.
Traditional Chinese medicine states that by regulating the menstrual cycle infertility in women can be treated successfully. The healthy menstrual cycle of a woman can be divided into five different phases.
The first phase of the menstrual cycle, known as the follicular phase is governed by the Yin energy and involves the energies of the Kidney and the blood. It is also known as the hypothermal or proliferative phase that marks the beginning of a new menstrual cycle.
The Yin hormone (estrogen) stimulates the uterus to prepare for the growth of an embryo within it. The ovaries select a healthy follicle for the egg that will be nurtured for growth. The uterine line comprising of the Yin blood, is then developed until it reaches a thickness of about 8 to 10 mm.